domingo, 22 de janeiro de 2012

Bill T. Jones


(...) Mr. Jones is among a handful of choreographers who have found success in very different forms and with different audiences, said Linda Shelton, the executive director of the Joyce Theater, citing Twyla Tharp and Garth Fagan as other examples. “He does it, and he does it well,” Ms. Shelton said of Mr. Jones’s balancing act. “He’s one of the few and he’s been quite successful — two Tony Awards and he is still able to maintain a dance company.” In the world that shaped him (and Mr. Cage, whose centennial is celebrated this year), there was a seemingly unbridgeable divide between what might be called popular and more highbrow culture, Mr. Jones suggested. “I don’t think that’s true anymore,” he said. “My listening tastes, films I see, my friends and I, we love action movies, we love anything that’s mythological or fantastic, we go for special effects.” He added: “How much can you pull an audience along? I don’t know. I believe in the new Broadway, I believe it’s possible, that’s why I’m here.”...
 by Felicia R. Lee, The New York Times, January 18, 2012

Sem comentários: